Here’s a little dish I like to make whenever I need comfort food quickly and on a budget. Best of all, you can easily double or triple this recipe.
Hamburger Gravy on Toast
Need a quick, hearty recipe for any time of the day or night? This might just do the trick.
- 8 oz. ground beef (80/20)
- 1 tsp beef base (or use bullion cube)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz mushrooms (fresh, sliced (optional))
- 1 tsp onion powder ((optional))
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Do not drain.
- If using, add the mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, until they are softened and slightly browned.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is no longer raw, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, beef base (or crushed beef bullion cube), black pepper, and onion powder (if using), and stir to combine.
- Add about 1/2 cup of milk, and stir to combine.
- Gradually add the rest of the milk, stirring after each addition. Cook until the gravy is your desired thickness, at least five minutes and up to fifteen.
The nutrition information includes the mushrooms and onion powder, but does not include the toast and butter. This recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled, depending on how big a crowd you have to feed. You can also serve this over biscuits.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!