Navy Bean Soup
Cheap, tasty, and nutritious — what more could you ask for?
- 1 pound navy beans (dried)
- 1 smoked pork hock
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- Place your smoked hock in a small pot and add water to come at least half way up. Bring to a boil, then turn down and allow to simmer.
- In the meantime, sort through your beans and rinse them.
- Add the smoked pork hock and its broth. Add enough water to cover the beans by one inch.
- Bring the beans to a boil. Reduce the heat and then turn down to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are almost tender. Remove the hock and allow it to a cool a bit.
- After the hock is cool enough to handle, remove any pieces of meat and cut them into small pieces, and add them back to the beans.
- When the beans are tender, taste for seasoning and add salt if necessary. Serve with cornbread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!